Friday, January 05, 2007

It's getting hot in here....

Nelly got that right...
Normally this unseasonal weather makes me call someone back in England and ask them what it's like there (9 times out of 10 cold and wet..ha ha). But then autumn leaves, people wearing T-shirts and the thermometer tipping 20 in January isn't really natural, and then I thought back to last July when the city was melting while people sat parked in their cars pumping out the air conditioning and old women randomly stopped you to give it 'que calor! - Es insorportable!'. It certainly feels like climate change is here, despite what caring sharing Exxon Mobil will pay scientists to say.

I'm not exactly blameless in my production of noxious gases (who is?). Although I don't drive a car, I am a big user of aeroplanes (not something I'm proud of or remotely enjoy). Strictly speaking I blame my friends and family for selfishly insisting on staying in the UK and getting married and other things that involve me flying there (and generally flying back poorer and with a hangover).
If you add to this the increasingly bizarre security measures that keep changing at UK airports - liquids yes, as long as they're in a small bottle, (although I actually got through this weekend with an illicit lip balm and a bottle of water!), being told to take my shoes off, then to put them back on before I went through the scanner - (I think they were just checking out the christmas socks). All in all flying is becoming more and more like a national express coach ride. Uncomfortable, long, with overpriced Wagon Wheels and with the threat of danger looming.
So I was thinking about getting the train to london next time I need to go. I have checked this out to compare whether it would be feasible or remotely cost efficient

Plane to london: around 100 Euros return, Time: 2 hours
Train to london: around 225 Euros one way (the return leg was 'not available'. Time: *only* 17 hours each way.

Easyjet it is then....

1 Comments:

Blogger gforguiri said...

i returned to spain after christmas by train.
it cost me about 100 quid. Eurostar Waterloo to paris, overnight train Paris to London.
It isn't cost effective, and if you listen to our friend Tony Blair it isn't worth it. But there you go, it's more comfortable and there are no weight limits or bastard security checks.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home